I am not Vegan but appreciate all good tasting food. Being a body builder I get my fill of animal protein. I enjoy the change (also break for my kidneys and liver) of beans and rice that make this tasty meal and a complete protein! This was very easy and my family of five (including my three little kiddos) devoured this dish!
I just want to add that I very seldom measure things. Please feel comfortable to eye ball ingredients, add your own favorite seasonings or even omit ingredients that you don’t have on hand. This is a relatively forgiving recipe. Enjoy!
- A pot of cooked Basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon (or so) coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 or 3 carrots roughly chopped
- 1 red or orange bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic (about 5 cloves)
- 1½ teaspoons of cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (I use my micro plane. you can also use 1/2 tsp of dried ginger)
- 1½ teaspoons garam masala
- 1½ teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- pink sea salt to taste (or any salt)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) chickpeas drained
Put onion in a food processor and chop until small enough for your preference. Add carrots, peppers and garlic to food processor, with onion, and chop until you have bite size pieces. Heat your oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the vegetables from food processor. Saute for 5 minutes. Add all the spices from cumin to turmeric. Saute for another 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and chickpeas. Bring to a light boil and then lower heat to a simmer with lid on. Simmer for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Take lid off and season with salt and cayenne as desired. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve hot over Basmati rice.